Re: [SLUG] Nokia releases developer suite tools for Linux

From: Ian C. Blenke (ian@blenke.com)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 15:30:42 EST

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 11:12:30AM -0500, Derek Glidden wrote:
> > The company said on Tuesday that the software tools, Nokia Developer's Suite
> > for J2ME, would let Linux users create, test and use programs designed for
> > the Java 2 Micro Edition.
> Daaaaaaaaaaang....
>
> Ian will be happy to see this. How he can write nerdy programs for his
> nerd phone instead of only being able to make it play the "Monty Python
> and the Holy Grail" theme for a ringer.
>
> Now I'M gonna hafta get a nerd phone too...

I already have the J2ME environment working under Linux, complete with
emulator. This must be a repackaged OEM branded version that Nokia is
putting out. Sprint has the same thing on their website.

Unfortunately, the Nerd phone is slow when running J2ME apps. What I
really want is a Linux handheld with a builtin 1xRTT 2.5G compatible
phone that Sprint will let me get away with unlimited access. The only
reason I've stayed with Sprint now is the unlimited IP access anywhere
for $10/month. Who needs a PPP modem dialup? ;)

- Ian