[SLUG] Question Regarding Setting Up NIC

From: Douglas Pollock (pgmr500@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 21:57:14 EST

I installed RedHat 8 and it recognized everything except my Linksys LNE100TX
card. I went to the RedHat site and looked at their hardware compatibility
list for network interface cards. Linksys cards were not recognized for
RedHat 8. I found compatible NetGear card FA310-TX on their list but no one
sells the card. I purchased a NetGear FA311 card and installed it.

When I go to System Settings > Network > Hardware > Add... > Network
Adapters the drop down list does not even list the NetGear network interface
cards. It also does not list the Linksys cards.

So the question is if the card is on RedHats hardware compatibility list but
not on the Network Adapter list how do you get the card to install? When I
tried other network card names and then tried to Activate the card it always
failed.

How have other people gotten cards to work? Any suggestions.

Thanks
Douglas