Re: [SLUG] Slides from Procmail talk

From: John (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Sat Jan 18 2003 - 12:20:58 EST

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 11:18:23 -0500, Matt Moen wrote:

-> Ah yes...let's see. You'll need to see Office Space and
watch the Iron
-> Chef at least once. Mr. Rogers is /completely/ optional.

Darn, I didn't watch the right movies, and that's why it took me
two hours last night to install Fetchmail. I didn't even get to
Procmail yet! (Which is good, because I need to stop in at my
local movie rental shop first)

You know, I suspected that I might be in trouble with Fetchmail
when I first printed out the docs. I thought (since every
published email client includes a module that grabs mail off a
mailbox) that Fetchmail was a trivial program, but when the
printout of docs is more than a half-inch high, that sets off
alarms.

Things I read in various howtos seemed to imply that
fetchmailconf (the config utility) was generally packaged with
fetchmail in all distros. I installed RH8 all by itself (no
dual boots) in a machine, and selected the custom packages;
included the Mail Server grouping (so that it would install
fetchmail).

After install, I had fetchmail, but no fetchmailconf.

One at a time, I looked at the three RH CDs, and I couldn't find
any fetchmailconf. Arrgggh.

Wassup with that? Is it there, anyplace, in a RH distro?

When I step in quicksand, I make it a point to thrash and sink
as quickly as possible. This install was no different. I
subsequently found fetchmailconf RPMs on the Internet, ran into
compatibility problems with the already installed fetchmail,
_crashed_ rpm trying to get fetchmail to the right level...and
so on.

Finally got everything working. At least, it goes out and
checks the mailbox, sees mail. Next: handoff to
sendmail/procmail. (My impression of fetchmailconf: not worth
the effort. Better to spend your time watching a movie.)

John