[SLUG] K3b help

From: Robert Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Sat Jan 18 2003 - 23:11:08 EST

Hello Sluggers,

Running SuSE 8.1. Decided to download and install K3b. Can't get it
to work. Here is the problem:

Open k3b, click on either the cdrom or the cdrecorder and receive a
message "Can't mount /dev/sr0" (or /dev/sr1) which are the scsi
designations for the cdrom and the cdrecorder. I can mount these
devices outside of k3b in a normal mode. When I enter the k3b setup
program it identifies both the cdrom and the cdrecorder as /dev/sg0
and /dev/sg1. If I try to create a new device ie: /dev/sr0 I get a
message that there is no such device. Likewise if I try /dev/cdrom.

cdrecord-scanbus identifies both of the devices as scsi and provides
this further info: Linux: sg driver version 3.2.0 and: Using
libscg version "schily-0.6"

Are /dev/sr0 and /dev/sg0 the same? I tried changing the link for the
cdrom to sg0 from sr0 but then it is no longer a block device and
the cdrom becomes completely disabled.

Also k3b setup will not allow me to change my cdrdao driver from
"auto" to "generic-mmc" which is the proper driver for the cdrom. It
just keeps reverting to the "auto" selection.

I am running the latest versions of cdrdao and cdrecord.

Hope somebody a lot more knowledgeable than I can give me a hint
here.

Thanks, Bob S.