Re: [SLUG] Redmond 8.0 <aka Redhat 8.0> loosing time

From: robin (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 08:50:31 EST

> The random part I am not certain about as this has only happened 2 or 3 times
> in the last couple of weeks so I don't have a handle on possible source yet
> but there is definitely a software clock issue.

I've encountered clock errors a few times with different Linux
distributions, both "hour" slippage and oddities like losing minutes in
ways that didn't seem like they could be related to time zone settings.

In every case *in my limited experience*, assuming all my hardware was
working correctly, I found that once I made sure my BIOs (hardware)
clock was set to GMT/UT correctly, and I used the operating system and
its associated software only to set the time zone, the problem went away.

- Robin