[SLUG] booting keyboardless machine

From: John (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 19:30:54 EST

Paul, I mentioned to you off-list that I got tripped up trying
to boot a computer without keyboard.

I did solve my problem (make Google your friend). The solution
was tricky enough (for me, anyway) that I am posting to the list
in case somebody is interested.

I found lots of places where it told you to go into the BIOS and
set Halt on Error to "off". However, my BIOS doesn't offer me
anything like that.

So I kept googling, and it turns out that, for the computer in
question, the answer is much nicer, but also more obscure!

It's a Compaq Deskpro, and what you have to do is go into the
BIOS Security menu and set the power-on password. Huh? So what,
right? However, a new menu item now appears, and lets you
select "Network Server Mode". Voila, as it boots up (I left
the monitor connected to watch this) it sez, fleetingly:

"Booting in Network Server Mode with no keyboard attached"

Who'd a thunk it?! (When they come out with the Geek Trivia
game, I'm ready)

John