Re: [SLUG] Other recommended local Linux training outfits?

From: jeff (jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 11:06:23 EST

Robert Eanes wrote:

>------snipped-----
>As for what I would want in a Linux class or
>Presentation: I would like to see more presentation
>given that address the firstly the basic home use of
>Linux, "how to set it up" "how to config it" "how to
>get printers working" "how to share a connection"
>...etc.

    Very good point there. Another point that should be looked at is
that there are some competent Windows users (I know, that's an oxymoron
;) ) that are looking into Linux as an alternative to EULA's that
require a team of lawyers to translate and insane pricing for buggy
products. Since the terminology and syntax are so different between the
two OS's, the Windows knowledge that they already have is difficult for
them to apply to Linux.

    Something along the lines of a faq that would give a cross reference
of typical commands and the equivalent command with the other OS would
be a great help for newbies taking their first foray into Linux. I had
no idea that mtools existed when I started using Linux. I didn't find
out about that until I took a Linux class. All that I knew then was that
I wanted an OS that didn't require hourly reboots and Linux was the most
stable thing that I had encountered. I dabbled with Linux for years
before I ever met another Linux user. At that time, I could install and
configure NT server blindfolded, but Linux was a major ordeal because
although I understood the concepts, the commands were so alien coming
from a Windows environment that most of what I knew was useless until I
started to grasp the "Linux way" of doing things. Most Linux
documentation seems to assume that you already have considerable
knowledge of *nix, and glosses over things that a newbie needs to know.
I had one book on Slackware that would hold your hand throughout the
entire installation and configuring process. Over 1000 pages long, and
nowhere was an explanation of *why* you were supposed to type this
command, press enter, and move on to the next step. A prime example of
familiarity breeds contempt.

    Just my .02, YMMV
    Jeff