Re: [SLUG] Linux courses

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 22:03:14 EST

This reminds me of a student app that I've seen where
I work. It is called Palace... basically a chat room
with avitars, emoticons, whiteboard for drawing. Is
there anything like this for Linux. This kind of
approach could be a solution to bandwidth problems.
Here's an example ... I currently work a school in
north florida. For the campus doctor's office with
have 4 dedicated ISDN lines coming in attached to
cameras and digitizers and whatever else it takes to
do teleconferencing. It's an impressive setup, but it
did take all of the bandwidth to make a decent
connection. Now multiply that by 20 or 30 and you'll
have a classroom. uuuugggghhh. But if we stick to an
abstracted form of communication .. ie that neat
little program used in the movie "The Net" or Palace
.. then we don't have that kind of problem. Another
added bonus .. the instructor can do this from home on
old hardware :)