Re: [SLUG] vmware on redhat 8.0

From: Mark Polhamus (meplists@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 11:19:47 EST

Matt Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 22:25, ethan zimmerman wrote:
>
>>I'm having trouble getting VMware installed on my redhat 8.0 box. Here's
>>the summary of what's happening (as I understand it).
>>
>> -I run install script
>> -VMware says that none of it's pre-compiled modules will work with my
>>current kernel, and asks if I want it to compile one for me
>> -I say yes
>> -VMware says I looked here (/usr/src/linux/include) for a directory of C
>>header files but didn't find any. would you mind telling me were they are.
>> -I take an educated guess and tell it /usr/include
>> -VMware says that the directory of kernel headers version doesn't match
>>my kernel version
>> -I get confused because I'm a newbie
>

> Run uname to get the version of the running kernel. Looks like from your
> message it is 2.4.18-14.
>
> $ uname -r
> 2.4.18-14
>
> Grab the kernel source. The correct kernel source will have the
> appropriate header files. I imagine there is an rpm with the 2.4.18(-4)
> kernel source. I would recommend trying http://www.rpmfind.net . Or grab
> the 2.4.18 kernel source from:
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.18.tar.gz
> Untar in /usr/src and create a symbolic link from /usr/src/linux-2.4.18
> to /usr/src/linux.
>
> $ tar xzf linux-2.4.18.tar.gz
> $ ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.4.18 /usr/src/linux
>
> Rerun the vmware script.

Since it's a Redhat System (and assuming you are running the standard kernel
that came with RedHat 8.0, not something you compiled) I would download and
install RedHat's kernel-source-2.4.18-14 rpm
(kernel-source-2.4.18-14.i386.rpm) instead of using the tar archive version.
Try
http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/8.0/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/kernel-source-2.4.18-14.i386.rpm

I did something like this for my VMWare installation on RedHat 7.3 and all is
well (as it ever is).

-- Mark Polhamus