[SLUG] Linux training

From: John (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 21:07:06 EST

Suggestions re training:

Thinking more about this training thing.

I still like the idea of whiteboard/streaming
audio/keyboard chat back to instructor. Sounds like a
fun project. But that's just me.

I was just thinking about this SLUG training program in
general terms. I know that others have given it a lot
of thought, so forgive me if I'm just covering the same
ground.

The SLUG training program, if you let your imagination
run, can be a rather big affair. Which is fine. But
to get things started, can you make small, bitesize
pieces?

In support of bitesize:

A. If the program should grow, as more and more
volunteers add to it, it would be a good thing to have
some consistency. So, as step one, do we need a
written set of guidelines for instructors/course-creators?

It might look like this:

   a) A course consists of any number of segments,
   where any single segment takes no more than two
   hours in live presentation.

   b) A course will have a
   set of notes, provided in PDF? OOo? and these
   notes shall be more than point form--they should
   cover the course material in English sentence form.
   The notes shall be in sections which correspond to
   the segments, as mentioned in A.

   c) Presentation should be ..... and here you (I hope)
   will specify some format that COULD be used some
   day in a VNC setting, and/or archived on CD.

   .....and so on. The above are just ideas to illustrate
   what I'm talking about. I'm sure others can evolve
   something better.

   Note, I'm trying to NOT depend whatsoever on any geek-
   support with IRC/VNC etc, but let's not preclude it, either.

Maybe ask Paul to publish "instructors guidelines" on the
website?

Or...I know that Aaron has raised the idea of project blogs
at the St. Pete meetings. Just for testing, we have a couple
of Blog packages installed on a couple of servers. If you
want to use a Blog package to collaborate on this training
stuff, let me know.

B. Maybe use SLUG meetings to polish these bite-size courses?
Get one ready, then present it. If it's a 2 x 2-hour
session, maybe give the first segment at Dunedin and
the second at Tampa, or something like that? But let
the instructor use meetings to polish up the material.

C. IN PARALLEL.... Research what is needed for
 a) the VNC/audio streaming idea and
 b) for simply recording a lesson on CD without streaming
 onto the net.

Does anybody know if this is even doable? What
bandwidth is needed for low-grade audio plus VNC?
If, say, 15 people were hooked up, what happens?
Are there people in SLUG who are smart enough to
know this, or do we need to do some experiments? (I
suspect the former is true, but I'm willing to help
in any way I can if there are some trials needed.)

I know that somebody said they were going to take on this
task of organizing some lessons, so here's a couple of
ideas (A and B, that is) to add into your pot. I apologize
that my thoughts are not well organized, but maybe you
can find something in that mess.

John