[SLUG] LANG vs LANGUAGE env

From: Logan (logan1304@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 10:43:51 EST

Hello Everyone,
        I am currently in Italy translating an orthodontic software
program
which runs on Linux. Using gettext is a piece of cake, but there is one
thing which boggles our minds. We are using SuSE 8.1. If we store our
.mo locale files in /usr/share/locale/LANG/LC_MESSAGES and only export
LANGUAGE=italian or english, or any other languages defined in
/usr/share/locale/locale.alias, our programs find our translations with
no problem. Without getting to heavily into the programming aspect, we
can set the bindtextdomain to any directory and it works also, as long
as we follow the /lang/LC_MESSAGES/ requirement to our bindtextdomain.
Without changing the LC_ALL nor LANG variable, our translations work.
It seems the only thing pointing to a different language is the LANGUAGE
environment variable. But here is the kicker, if I start the program
"gnometest" in this fashion: env -i LANG=en_US gnometest from an
Italian locale and LANGUAGE=Italian, the program will translate to
English as the -i tag ignores the local settings.
        Can someone explain to me the difference between the LANG and
LANGUAGE
environment variables and where is the LANGUAGE variable actually
initialized? It just seems strange to be able to leave the locale
totally in en_US but export LANGUAGE=italian and suddenly our program
speaks italian in the english locale.

TIA
The Logan

PS Off topic... has it rained in Sarasota during the last two weeks? My
plants are probably dying.