Re: [SLUG] two simple questions about bash and the path

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 21:45:48 EST

> I'm no expert, but why are you running your programs with sh?
>
> if you run it: /opt/limewire/runLime.sh it will be executed by
> bash, most of the features we love are in bash but not in sh.
>
> Why won't bash accept a full path?
>

> My bash does, I am using version 2.05a and 2.05b is available at:
>
> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bash
>
> I study bash programming daily, all of my script files start with:
>
> #!/bin/bash so they are run by bash, not sh.

On nearly any modern linux system, sh is actually a symlink to bash (or, as used to be the case with slack and debian, sh would be a link to something like /etc/alternatives/sh, which was in turn a link to /bin/bash) , which runs in sh compatibility mode when called as sh, but still retains all its bashy features.

When scripting, I generally still call /bin/sh, since plenty of older and/or minimal unix systems won't have bash.

Levi

<flame> TCSH RULES! </flame>