Re: [SLUG] RE: DSL setup

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 01:10:55 EST

On Sunday 23 March 2003 22:56, Maureen L. Thomas wrote:
> This is a really dumb question but - do I have to use DNS to use
> my DSL. I have been connecting but occasionally it will just go
> down and I have to reconfigure everything in Linuxconfig and
> reboot to get it back. I'm using Mandrake 9.0 with Verizon DSL.
> This is all new to me so be patient. I tried RoaringPenguin's
> PPPOE but it doesn't work and Linuxconfig keeps giving me an
> error message for it. But the directions for RP PPPOE mentions
> setting up DNS and I was under the impression that I only needed
> it if I was set up as a server, which I'm not. I am a little
> confused on the server issue as you can tell. Your help is
> greatly appreciated. Maureen

The function of DNS is to let you type in a name like www.linux.com
and have it find the server. You see all addresses on the Internet
are numeric. Like 64.236.24.20 which is cnn.com's web address.

Without DNS you would have to type in the IP address.

Now you only tell your computer which DNS to use, you don't need to
set up a DNS server to use the Internet.

Technically the use of DNS has nothing to do with using DLS or cable
or any other method of getting access to the internet. But as I
point out above, without it the Internet becomes a pain to use.

If you use DHCP (which automatically assign you a IP address, it
also automatically assigns a DNS server for you to use. Only if you
have a fixed IP (known as a static IP as it does not change) do you
need to manually enter the DNS server IP.

Hope this clears it up for you.

--

Steve ______________________________________________________ (This sig has been left open for your imagination.)