Re: [SLUG] Linux Server

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 19:41:04 EST

On Wednesday 26 March 2003 15:35, Kenneth W Hansen wrote:
> I know there is the option to set up a server in some
> distros like Red Hat and Mandrake. Is there much
> difference between this setup and using an actual
> Server distro?
> So far, I've not found a free download of a server ISO
> to try it out.

The first thing you should probably look for is to start your own
thread. When you hit reply to a previous it simply continous on the
old one. :-)

There are usually no desktop only distro. Though I've seen a couple
of attempts. Just look to see that it says things like apache and
samba it will then have the server s/w included.

As far as Linux goes any version can become a server by adding the
server s/w (like apache). There's no difference otherwise.
Depending on the load, all you end up doing is finetuning it, but
it's still both a desktop and a server.

RedHat does an excellent job maintaining upgrades, though they are
still concerned about the mp3 license so you have to spend a few
minutes adding it yourself. Mandrake started out as a RH version
with modified installation s/w and is looking great these days.
SuSE has a killer desktop and good server setup routines for
beginners, though the latest version is usually not available to
download for a few months.