Re: [SLUG] gpm doesn't seem to work on Debian

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2003 - 09:36:48 EST

On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 06:14, Mike Manchester wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 09:52, Matt Miller wrote:
> > $ cat /dev/mouse
> Nothing

OK. /dev/mouse is not soft linked to the correct character device as per
your original post.

> > $ cat /dev/psaux
> Yep have random characters appearing on the screen
> > (move the mouse around and press the mouse buttons)

This would indicate that /dev/psaux is the correct device.

> Changed /etc/gpm.conf to point to the /dev/mouse and restarted gpm,
> Still the same, now mouse when in console mode, only when X is running.

The test above confirmed that /dev/mouse is not linked to your mouse
device file, so using /dev/mouse will not work with gpm.

Here is a sample of the gpm.conf file from my home machine --

device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=ms3
type=imps2
append=""

Run gpmconfig as root. There is a test portion of the configuration,
which will give you an indication if gpm is going to work before you
commit the changes.

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -- Jefferson