[SLUG] Problems With Network Boot via bootp for Wyse Winterm 5355

From: John Clay (john.clay@lfr.com)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 09:20:24 EST

I have a Winterm 5355se (obsolete - unsupported) that supports bootp. I'm trying to get it
to boot off of my operational LTSP system but have been unsuccessful so
far. It makes some headway as I see the following in /var/log/messages pertaining to it
on the LTSP server:

DHCPDISCOVER blah blah blah .....
DHCPOFFER .....
DHCPREQUEST .....
DHCPACK .....

The terminal gets it's IP address and can be pinged. So it's getting, and is able to use,
some of the information sent by dhcpd in the reply packet which should include the:
* IP address
* netmask
* pathname of the kernel
* pathname of the root file system
* optional parameters

My understanding is that the bootp code is then supposed to use tftp, and the information listed
above, to download the kernel but I see no evidence of an attempt to do that in /var/log/messages.

The water is deep and I'm out of ideas.

If anyone has a hunch how to proceed please let me know.

Thanks Much
John Clay
Tallahassee, FL