Re: [SLUG] RH9

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 15:26:56 EDT

On Sunday 27 April 2003 14:46, Kenneth W Hansen wrote:
> Thanks.
> I've heard of issues doing install vs upgrade. Any
> suggestions?
> (I have all my data backed up)
> ken

There has practically allways been issues doing upgrades. On
production machines I never do upgrades. But I test it often on a
home machine to see how well it goes. Then after having run into
enough issues I often give in and just do an install (rather than
debugging it) as it's easier and often faster. (I'm not that into
having to debug my install as much as using it.)

Actually I'm probably going to try a 8 to 9 upgrade today to see how
it goes. (And then suffer through fixing all the little issues RH
have been adding lately.)

One of my boxes have Mandrake but I've always liked RH support
better than others. (Whatever that has to do with anything.)

I also tend to not format my /home partition so I don't have to
restore all I have there.

The good part is Linux handles different libs better than win's and
can often just overwrite old ones (links f.ex.).

--

Steve ______________________________________________________ (This sig has been left open for your imagination.)