Re: [SLUG] Filesystems

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 09:47:23 EDT

On Monday April 28 2003 05:12 pm, you wrote:
> It helps tremendously. Thank you very much. My question about ext3 is the
> different forms of journaling. For example, on partitions that active use
> was occurring on constantly I'd like to have the fastest performance
> possible. Then for a partition where I'd keep MP3 and essentially
> write-once, read-many files I'd want to have the utmost integrity available
> on those partitions. This is possible with ext3 (AFAIK), correct? Ext3
> will probably be my filesystem of choice due to its maturity and ample
> amount of support.
>
> Chris Short, SrA USAF
> shortc@centcom.mil

Also realize that the ext3 journal itself may be located on another drive
altogether. You don't *need* to have the journal on the same partition, or
even the same physical harddrive (or controller for that matter).

If you need a high-performance filesystem, I wouldn't recommend ext3 - take a
serious look at xfs (or, *gasp*, reiserfs4). If you need reliable trustworthy
*data journalling* (not merely metadata journalling), ext3 with data=journal
is the only filesystem that currently supports it.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)