[SLUG] Replacing an NT 3.5.1 box

From: Russ Wright (rwrigh10@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 10:35:53 EDT

Folks

I have a client who has a Windows NT 3.5.1 server. The server acts
primarily as a file server. The equipment is good but pretty old. The
workstations for the most part are windows 98. I think he as one win 95
box. They all connect to the box through netbios protocol. They have
one XP laptop that will not connect at all. (go figure)

Hardware as follows
Pentium 133
HP SCSI external tape backup
8gb hard drive
128 MB ram
floppy and CD-ROM

Back on windows 95 there was an email product called Exchange 4.0 that
allowed the user to create a workgroup post office. That went away in
win 98 and I am looking for a suitable replacement. The workstations
are win 98 with outlook express.

So, I'm open to suggestions for a solution.

Sounds like a good candidate for reload as a Linux box and maybe some
web based groupware like the one from Suse. What are your suggestions?

Regards

--
Russ Wright <rwrigh10@tampabay.rr.com>