Re: [SLUG] UserMode Linux

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 16:04:44 EDT

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 15:32, SpamFree wrote:
> On Tuesday April 29 2003 09:39 am, you wrote:
> > On Monday 28 April 2003 17:46, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> > > Has anyone here used UserMode Linux before? I'm trying to setup a
> > > virtual machine to host my web site in the event that the main,
> > > physical box goes down. So far I've been experimenting with some VMWare
> > > options, but I've been having lots of difficulty with later versions of
> > > Linux (RH9, Mandrake 9.1).
> >
> > We're running hundreds of UML images at NKS, and I'm now running them on
> > every physical linux box I own (including the firewall - which is a story
> > into itself).
>
> Ian, this is sort of off topic but, what are the "hundreds of UML images at
> NKS" doing? From the NKS website I am unable to determine what NKS does
> that would require so many boxes and so many UML images. Is there more to
> NKS than their webpage alludes to?

NKS is primarily a managed service provider. Those hundreds of UML images host
primarily customer content and customer facing services. Primarily things
like BIND, Sendmail, Spamassassin, Apache, Tomcat, Cold Fusion, Lotus Notes,
Postgres, MySQL, etc etc. The back-end servers are mostly UML now - providing
services to our SOHO based customers (samba print/file sharing, other local
services) and their desktops (managed with cygwin ssh, vnc, etc). We do a
little of everything, from monitoring with NKS maintained Netsaint (or
managed OpenNMS nodes) to custom firewalling, VPN, and load-balancing with
LVS.

If there's an OpenSource project or Linux based commercial server package
that's popular, we're probably running it somewhere in our server farm for
some customer or another.

As to our marketing: yes, it sucks, we know. The current website is for the
benefit of corporate executive mindset types, not engineers. Don't even get
us started about "the guy" on the main page.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)