Re: [SLUG] Linux TS guru's

From: SpamFree (SpamFree@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 18:13:21 EDT

On Tuesday April 29 2003 05:34 am, you wrote:
> Actually you gave me one of the better explanations as far as the
> difference between the MS Terminal Server world and the Linux Terminal
> Service/XServer world. This makes it much more clearer to me now and I
> think I might have found a possible solution that would work but I would
> like to know if anyone has tried this in their environment. I found a free
> XServer that is java based called WeirdX
> (http://www.jcraft.com/wiredx/index.html) and am curious as to anyone's
> experiences with this XServer so far? Does it perform well?
>
> Unfortunately I'm still kinda green on all this stuff although you think I
> would have caught on by now but for some reason it escapes me. Once I
> figure it out for myself I'll be better so for now I'm just reading a lot
> of stuff but any offers of advice are always greatly appreciated.
>
> I also know that I can use VNC but from my understanding you must spawn a
> VNC process and each VNCSession is given a port number. What we are trying
> to do in the lab is to redirect from a website to a full blown session that
> a user gets a desktop and everything. With VNC I would have to first spawn
> the process and then direct the browser to the particular port which I'm
> sure we can do with a script but I was looking for other options.
>
> Again, I thank you for a great response as well as all those that have
> assisted (one of the reasons I love LUG's :)
>
> Pace

Two things to think about. When reading your post I first thought of
Tarantella, now a subsidiary of the evil SCO Group. Tarantella is a web
portal system that provides remote access to applications and even whole
desktops through your browser. It is very similar to Windows terminal
Server/Citrix.

The other thing that might work for you (i'm not sure) is VNC. VNC can be
installed with a mini webserver that when you hit it causes a Java version of
the VNC client to be downloaded. You are then presented with a VNC session
from within your web browser. With this you can have a web page with a link
to the VNC web server such as http://yourspecialbox.com:5800. When clicked
the user is presented, after a short pause for the Java download, with a
login to the VNC session, all within the browser window.

>From the VNC webpage at http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/start.html

Using a web browser as a viewer

 The VNC servers also contain a small web server. If you connect to this with
a web browser, you can download the Java version of the viewer, and use this
to view the server. You can then see your desktop from any Java-capable
browser! (unless you are using a proxy to connect to the web). The server
listens for HTTP connections on port 5800+display number. So to view display
2 on machine 'snoopy', you would point your web browser at:
http://snoopy:5802/
 The applet will prompt you for your password, and should then display the
desktop.