Re: [SLUG] open source web authoring

From: Austin Theen (austin@austintheen.com)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 13:17:49 EDT

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 12:06, Derek Glidden wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 08:14, marrandy wrote:
> > On Tuesday 29 April 2003 11:51 pm, you wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying to help a non-profit, child-advocacy organizations put
> > > themselves on the Web. They're probably going to buy something like Go
> > > Live or Dreamweaver because of popularity, ease of use and availability
> > > of others who've used these. Before I let them spend $300, I want to ask
> > > if there are any "easy to use" open source Web authoring tools. I use
> > > Adobe cuz I got it for free but there may be other, better programs
> > > available.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Paul Swider
> >

> > Qunta Plus 3.1.1 comes with kde
> >
> > http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
>
> Unless someone can correct me and show me where I'm wrong, the problem I
> have with Quanta Plus is that it's basically just a text editor with
> some special capabilities for editing HTML. I haven't found any way to
> make it act like anything even vaguely close to a GoLive or a Dreamwaver
> or even the HTML Editor that comes with Mozilla.

So far that's correct. However, in the near future Quanta will provide
support for VPL (visual page layout) that essentially gives quanta
dreamweaver like capabilities. I've got the current CVS snapshot on my
gentoo workstation and all I can say is wow. You'll be very suprised at
the functionality you can achieve with open source.

It should be ready to release for the next version of KDE 3.2, which
I've heard is a month or two away.

> I haven't even found a way to visually edit the HTML in any sort of
> WYSIWYG mode - as far as I can tell, you must edit the HTML code by
> hand, then you only have the ability to preview the page using a KHTML
> widget.

You may also try the W3C's graphical editor Amaya. It's up to version 8
and has full XML and DOM compatibility.

--
Austin Theen <austin@austintheen.com>
Information Technology Works