Re: [SLUG] how do I get linux to recognize scanner without re-logging in?

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 11:35:19 EDT

On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 17:17, Eric Jahn wrote:
> Xsane says there is no scanner device after I plug in my scanners power
> cable during a user session. If I relog in after plugging in, then it
> recognizes it. I have hotplug installed and it functions as expected
> otherwise, and the scanner module is loaded. Is there a command I need
> to run to make it reprobe? How could this be set up so it performs this
> automagically? Thanks for any ideas!

This probably isn't exactly the answer you are looking for, but -

Here is a few links to help you along:

General Info
http://www.charmed.com/support/kernel/docs/hotplug.txt
Sourceforge Project Page
http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/?selected=setup
Debian Packages
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=hotplug&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all
RPM Packages
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=hotplug

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. -- Nietzsche