Re: [SLUG] Memory unaccounted for?

From: Thomas A. Ufer (tufer@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 10:39:10 EDT

This was message was bounced due to HTML content. Bad mail client, BAD !

From: Maurice Wilson <maury0324@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Memory unaccounted for?
To: slug@nks.net

Derek Glidden wrote:

>On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 18:05, bpreece1 wrote:
>

>>This could be because the mother board does not support double sided
memory
>>!
>>Thus is only seeing one side of the second module.
>>Also some older motherboards are not designed to use a mix.
>>Again SOME motherboards.
>>

>That's the first thing I thought of, too. We've run into a few goofy
>mobos that will only use single-sided dimms. Very strange...
>
>And that's assuming the mobo even supports 256MB chips. It may be old
>enough that it will only support up to a 128MB chip. Can you confirm
>that it's supposed to be able to support 256MB ram modules?

I run into this a lot as I do part time computer repair. A good place to
look is to spec out the chipset
on the MB. It will tell you what ram it supports. PNY has a dim that
will adjust to 66/100/133 which will
work in most but sometimes you run into a single or double sided
problem. It has gotten to be a zoo.
On one machine (an HP) I just put the 256 module in bank 0 and the old
128 in bank 1 and it worked.