Re: [SLUG] Booting CD-ROMS

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 12:13:57 EDT

There are a number of issues to check for not being
able to boot from CD.

Firstly the bios. The bios must support it, and the
CD must be ATAPI standards compliant (ie. some old
cdroms will not boot but work just fine other than
that)

Sedondly, the connections. power connection IDE
connection ( preferably slave on second IDE bus),
and/or audio connection... the little wire was
probably that and has nothing to do with it being able
to boot from CD.

Lastly, if the CDrom is as you say .. was working and
now it is not then there is two possibilities...
either the cdrom is malfunctioning or the CD is
damaged.. if other cd's will boot then it's the CD..
if not then try using a CDrom cleaner cd witht he
little brush on it.. maybe some dirt is keeping it
from reading properly. All else fails then try a
different CDRom.

Good Luck
Rob

--- Dylan William Hardison <dylanwh@tampabay.rr.com>