RE: [SLUG] Entertainment / software piracy may have just gottenlots cheaper...

From: Steven Buehler (sanctuaryweb@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat May 17 2003 - 09:42:19 EDT

> I read the article, and to me, this just help companies like
> netflix that distribute media via the mail as a blockbuster
> brick and mortar
> replacement. I don't see how it hurts the entertainment
> industry or helps piracy. Please clue me in as to my
> short-sightedness. -eric

I'll clue ya in. :-)

EZ-D is likely to be produced and marketed at a lower price point (read:
It's cheaper!) than conventional DVDs. Any user with a DVD reader/burner
and the appropriate software can easily copy the EZ-D to a conventional DVD
long before the 48 hours expires.

DVD piracy just got a lot cheaper, not that I personally endorse the
practice (the closest I get is that I may extract the soundtrack from a DVD
I already own to listen to in the car or something (my own personal use),
which is a generally accepted practice in the industry).

SWB