Re: [SLUG] considering open sourcing my app

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 14:10:58 EDT

Russ Wright wrote:
> Hi All
>
> After a very pleasant chat with Robin Miller I've been considering
> opening the source code for my simple content management tool under the
> GPL. You can see it at www.webruss.net
>
> I'd like to ask my fellow developers, about their experiences in opening
> their source code and the results thereof.

<snip>

> Regards
> Russ Wright

I read an interview with Rasmus Lerdorf that I can't find right now.
He's the guy who started PHP. To paraphrase him there are three things
you need to do to say you have run an open source project. First, put
in lots and lots of work to get something decent running. Second,
invite lots of people to participate. If there are not intelligent
people disagreeing with you about things you think are important, then
you don't have enough people. Third, turn over control to someone else.
  Set your fledgling free to fly on its own.

And Russ, that stuff you've got looks pretty nifty.

Greg