Re: [SLUG] Re: The potential of collaborative documentation (was:Roblimo Linux)

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 14:29:53 EDT

> I'll second that statement. But, I will also say that I see some slippage
> occuring. More and more, I see questions about a specific problem with a
> specific product, which are answered with "try this other product" and
> "You're answer is in the man pages".

I agree with this sentiment for the most part. There is nothing more
annoying when asking a question like, "Where are the init scripts located
in Mandrake?" than receiving an answer like, "Try Gentoo, it OWNZ
Mandrake!"

An RTFM response is sometimes acceptable, as in, "The answer is 12, which
I found in the manpage for someapp(1)," or, "I don't remember the exact
answer, but I remember seeing something about that in the manpage."

Levi