Re: [SLUG] Re: The potential of collaborative documentation (was:Roblimo Linux)

From: Tony A. Lambley (tal@vextech.net)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 17:25:21 EDT

On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 16:41, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:

> I had forgotten how awful the Internet was for most people until my
> laptop broke while I was on a business trip and my only Internet access
> was through Windows/MSIE in the hotel's "business center."
>
> All those popups!
>
> All that spam!
>
> Why in the world does anyone tolerate that nonsense, plus all the other
> Windows problems? Don't they know they could use Linux/Mozilla with the
> same point/click ease as Windows/MSIE and have trouble-free computing?

Right on. I find the web rather repulsive when I have to use IE. with
its negligible control of how the browser operates (a bit like where
Galeon is heading eh?). And why do DHCP requests take so long in doze?

Anyway, I believe a lot of a user problems with the somewhat lacking
documentation would disappear if the manufacturers actually got off
their butts and included something for linux users with their products.
Even if it was only a small sheet of paper saying "go to this website
d00d".

People know how to use the bread-n-butter applications, it's getting new
devices up and running the seems to cause the most grief. You may get
lucky with a distro auto detecting your latest toy, or you may have to
waste hours, or even days trawling through mailing list archive, and
USENET, scraping together the snippets of information need to get
product X to work. Even then, a lot of the info has already become
obsolete, or only partially complete.

My non IT literate family uses linux desktops without any problems, but
try getting them to install, say, a firewire dvd burner! On doze, they
would merely follow the little booklet enclosed with the device, and pop
in a CD. A bunch of reboots later, they'll be done without know anything
about what they just did, and ready to use the new toy.

Most manufacturers won't even admit their gear works with Linux. Why
can't they simply put Tux on the box? Even worse, sometimes they claim
it does work when in fact it doesn't (thanks Lexmark UK and PCworld).