RE: [SLUG] Unix code disclaimer, and this SCO debacle

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 10:18:49 EDT

Well, it's every developer's responsibility not to submit code that is not
his/her own, regardless whether the code is going into an open-source
product or not. (Although, if nobody sees the source of your product,
it's easy to get away with using large blocks of code in a manner contrary
to its license, as certain monopolistic corporations have been alleged to
have done.)

Many patches are submitted on the linux kernel dev list, except for those
that are done by folks that can commit them directly to the tree. I found
it interesting that a statement from somebody who claimed to have viewed
SCO's "evidence" stated that the Linux code examples were taken from the
kernel dev mailing list. However, patches that are submitted to the list
are not necessarily committed to the actual source tree, and if committed
are still subject to pre-commitment revision. This seems pretty shaky to
me, like exhibiting photos of someone driving south on I-75 on a
particular day as evidence that s/he was present in Miami at 12:15 on that
day.

Levi