Re: [SLUG] Mac

From: John Brown (photo.man@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 22:39:12 EDT

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 15:29, jeremy bowers wrote:
<snip>
> New question: I've got a beige g3 powermac and I need to do something with
> it. I have no macOS and a blank hard drive that I can use.
>
> It's got a G3 233 and 128 MB RAM, as well as a nifty OrangePC PCI
> coprocessor card with a Pentium 233MMX on it, and another 128Mb ram stick.
>
> What can I do with this? I noticed that Debian seems to be the best distro
> to run, but there's no way I can use BootX with no MacOS. Anyone gotten
> quik to run on an old world mac?
>
> --Jeremy
Debian is probably your best bet but the machine is so old that using it
as a web server is far easier.[machttp -webserver software -free] I'm
setting up an SE30 for home network webserving...

Maybe this will help get the Mac side going...
System 7.01 and 7.5.3 complete and free download.
Sys 7.0.1 =4 floppies.
Sys 7.5.3 =19 floppies.
Apple Software and OS here:
http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/

More Mac info & many pages of links here:
http://www.ultimatemac.com/

Specs on all Macs here
http://www.everymac.com/

OpenBSD downloads here (mirror list):
http://www.openbsd.org/ftp.html
(follow the links to the PPC install iso)

YellowDog downloads here:
ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/iso

Debian install 68K or PPC (mirror)
http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/debian-cd/

When all else fails: MacAquariums!
http://www.theapplecollection.com/Collection/MacAquarium/index.shtml