Re: [SLUG] Bridging Firewall

From: Joe O (joeo@cracktown.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 14:55:47 EDT

The interface needs to be in an "up" state for the kernel to be willing to
even look at the packets the interface driver is saying are available for
processing. I'm not sure if an IP address needs to be configured for it
on OpenBSD or if it needs an address on the segment it's plugged into,
quite a bit has changed in the networking options since the last time I
did this kind of thing with ether a *BSD or Linux box.

My memory of using ipfilter on *BSD vs. iptables is that ipfilter (and I
assume pf's the same) is that it processes all packets as they come out of
or go into the IP stack, where as with iptables they're grabbed if there
is a routing decision to be made on the packet (though the decision is
can still be limited on a per interface basis. I'm definately
oversimplifying here, and probably completely off base).