Re: [SLUG] Upgraded Evolution and Lost my Spell Checker

From: Russ Wright (rwrigh10@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 08:31:06 EDT

Andrew

Found the article that explains the problems and fixed it. Thanks for
your help.

Regards
Russ

Pertinent text in case someone else has a similar problem:

Spell checking is one of the more complicated features in Evolution from
a standpoint of release engineering and package management. Evolution
uses a set of libraries for spell checking, some of which are used by
other applications. Evolution often requires newer versions of some of
these libraries. Making packages that work with both Evolution and
older applications can be tricky (hence some of the *spell-compat
packages we've been releasing lately for some platforms). Additionally,
there's the need to support a wide variety of languages. All these make
the problem unusually complicated.

The best diagnostic for broken spell checking is to run the following
command:

rpm -qa | grep spell | sort

Then check against the list below. If anything is missing, install it
via Red Carpet. If you have further unexplained problems, the output of
the above command should be included in the bug report and/or list post.

Mandrake Linux 9.1:
aspell-0.50.3-1mdk
gnome-spell1.0-1.0.4-0.ximian.6.1

Red Hat Linux 7.3:
aspell-0.33.7.1-9
gnome-spell1.0-1.0.4-0.ximian.4.1
pspell-0.12.2-8

Red Hat Linux 8.0:
aspell-0.50.3-1.ximian.2
gnome-spell1.0-1.0.4-0.ximian.5.1

Red Hat Linux 9:
aspell-0.50.3-1.ximian.2
gnome-spell1.0-1.0.4-0.ximian.6.1

SuSE Linux 8.2:
aspell-0.50.2-74
gnome-spell1.0-1.0.4-0.ximian.7.1

This list is, of course, subject to change as new versions and revisions
are released.

This list provides the basic functionality needed to have spell
checking, but it doesn't necessarily provide the files necessary to
spell check in a particular language. These files are typically split
out into separate packages, since most machines will only need to carry
out spell checking in a small number of languages. Support for spell
checking in specific languages is typically added by packages with names
such as aspell-en (for US English), aspell-en-uk (for British English),
aspell-de (for German), etc. Note that Red Hat includes US English
support in its aspell package, and hence Red Hat users typically won't
need a separate aspell-en package. With the exception of
English-speaking Red Hat users, you will need to install an aspell-$LANG
package.

Important note for users of non-English languages: our gnome-spell1.0
packages for Red Hat Linux 8.0 and Red Hat Linux 9 don't work with the
aspell-$LANG packages provided by Red Hat. This is because the version
of gnome-spell1.0 used by Evolution requires an updated aspell which is
not compatible with the aspell-$LANG packages that come with those
versions of Red Hat Linux Consequently, updated packages from Ximian
will be needed to get spell checking to work in Evolution 1.4 under Red
Hat Linux 8.0 and Red Hat Linux 9 for languages other than English.
These packages are not yet available, but packages for several languages
should be released quite soon, and others are in the works.

To configure the language(s) for which spell checking will be enabled by
default in the composer, go to:

Tools -> Settings -> Composer Preferences -> Spell Checking

This should present a list of languages for which you can do spell
checking. If a language is enabled, words in the dictionary for that
language will be assumed spelled correctly. In most cases, users will
want only a single language checked. Polyglots may want several
languages selected, or they may want to change the list dynamically in
the composer window, which can be done from:

Edit -> Current Languages

...which presents a similar list of languages.

-Mark Gordon