Re: [SLUG] Dual-boot laptop

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 10:59:15 EDT

> Is there any particular distro that is geared more towards the laptop? I
> know everyone has their favorite. I currently run redhat 7.x on two
> servers
> here but have never attempted linux with a laptop. Any caveats to be aware
> of? Are there any distros to stay away from for this type of thing? Are
> there any issues with the latest releases from redhat... as I haven't had
> the opportunity to check them out myself?
> I plan on running etherape for network monitoring and I know I will need
> gnome for that. Any possible problems there?

It's my opinion that you'll do best with the distro with which you're most
familiar. All of the ones I've used have roughly equivalent laptop
support, and if it's got any hardware that's really goofy, you'll need to
download extra drivers no matter what. The most problematic component is
always the winmodem, so you may want to invest in a pcmcia one.

Levi