Re: [SLUG] Dual-boot laptop

From: Kenneth W Hansen (khansen46@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 08:14:55 EDT

  XP generates a unique code that is determined by the hardware on the individual computer - MB, processor, drives, sound card, video card, etc. As long as all this remains the same, there is no problem re-activating it on the web. Also, when you activate it the first time, you can write down the "key" that is generated and manually enter it if you reinstall XP. As long as that key matches your current configuration, there is no issue, and it will activate the install without haveing to go online. If you don't activate it, it will run for about 30 days. There are ways to get around this by logging into Safe Mode and making changes in the registry before the 30 days expires, but that gets to be a hassle having to do that every month. When the "trial period" expired, I was still able to log in under Safe Mode, make the registry change, reboot, and continue using it. It won't, however, allow you to download any service packs or patches until it's activated.
  The hassle comes along if you make multiple changes to your system. If too many changes are made at once, or if you change it too often ( I think more than 3 times), you have to call MS and sit on the phone while they authenticate your copy of XP. Then they give you a long code (something like 25 characters) that you have to manually enter. I've heard of it taking as long as 30-60 minutes on the phone to complete this process.
  With this registration process completed, MS has a record of what computer you're using, all of your hardware, and even what software is installed. And it updates the MS database periodically while you're on line, and any time you download a new service pack or patch. As long as you're using XP, they will always know (nearly) everything about your computer (if you use it to access the internet).

  I "ran across" a Corporate version of XP a while back. This is the one that MS gave out pre-release to different VIPs and people they wanted to let try it out before it was officially released. This version did not require any type of registration or activation. In all honesty, I have to say it was my favorite version of Windows (if I had to pick one). On my Slot 1 Celeron 400 and 128MB RAM it actually ran pretty good. My major problem was the fact that, since it's NT, I had a hard time finding drivers for some of my old hardware. Most of the NT 4.0 drivers I had weren't compatible, and I was about 50-50 on the 98 drivers. I used it for a couple of months, but it still can't touch Mandrake or Elx (my 2 favorites).

Ken