Re: [SLUG] Content management systems?

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylanwh@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 23:21:48 EDT

On Wednesday, July 02, 2003 at 09:53PM -0400, Derek Glidden wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 20:01, Dylan William Hardison wrote:
> > On Wednesday, July 02, 2003 at 07:03PM -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:
> > > [snip]
> > > Do you really need a CMS? I do the SLUG site with a homebrew system
> > > involving make, perl and mp4h, and upload the static pages via rsync.
> >
> > What about m4? :)
> >
> > I was going to use m4, make, sed, awk, and some other utils
> > to manage my site, and I even have a complicated blog of sorts written
> > in zsh... Never finnished that project, though.
>
> You should play with Movable Type. It's the same sort of thing, but all
> written in Perl, and all written for you already. You do everything
> over the web, and when you're ready, hit the "publish" button and it
> spits out the webpages. All the templates are just plain HTML with
> special tags, so they're easy to edit and customize.

I write programs for fun, just about always in perl,
but I wanted to use everything but perl for that project.

I learnt a lot about Makefiles, sed, gawk,
m4, and even some stuff ex, and quite a lot
about zsh scripting.

I prefer to write html in vim anyway, mixed with Template Toolkit
directives. ;)

I do have too many projects though...

--
"There are three principal ways to lose money: wine, women, and engineers.
While the first two are more pleasant, the third is by far the more certain."