Re: [SLUG] Linux in Appliances

From: Thomas A. Ufer (tufer@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 13:26:25 EDT

On Fri, 2003-07-04 at 12:39, Paul M Foster wrote:
<snip>

> IMHO, the computer won't go away. You may be able to surf the net on
> your TV, but writing letters or doing spreadsheets is something that
> doesn't really lend itself to doing on your toaster. Maybe you might be
> able to write letters and do spreadsheets on your TV, but then you're
> still dealing with a programmable PC underneath it all. In the same
> sense, I don't think books will go away because of ebooks. There are
> certain aspects of tree-based books that I think are too valuable to
> people to shift the whole market to ebooks.
>
> Paul

Heck, all I want my toaster to do is stop burning the toast everyday. It
doesn't matter what setting I use either.... maybe my toaster already
has WinCE loaded ?

I agree about the e-book vs. hard copy comparison. I have read many
articles and stories electronically, but there is something about owning
a hard copy book, holding it in your hands and turning the pages while
you read that I would never want to give up.

- Tom