Re: [SLUG] cable 568b wiring --was: brighthouse

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 17:50:13 EDT

I think, to be more exact, that only 10 Mbit hdx uses just the two pair
of the 4 that are present and I believe it (10 Mb) works if pairs 1 and 4
are
physically not present, but your post shows that it is necessary
to have validly connected 4 pairs. I think the testing spec is TSB-67
and they of course check all pairs in the cable.

It goes without saying that the cabling should be as up to date and
high speed capable as possible.

There is also a requirement of a minimum length for patch cables,
which I understand is one half meter and is related to the NEXT
(near end cross talk) margins being violated due to presence of the
nearby modular connectors which provide impedance bumps
and excessive coupling between adjacent pairs. I made a few 10-inch
patches when I started with all this, but they've been long gone by now.

Thanx for adding the extra info on higher speed ethernet which I wasn't
even thinking of when I posted. Bob