Re: [SLUG] 4 IDE's

From: mars03 (mars03@mail15.com)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 11:02:02 EDT

Maureen said
MLT> This may sound really dumb but I am thinking of going to a motherborad
MLT> with 4 IDE spots instead of two. I don't want to use RAID, just a third
MLT> hard drive (for backup) and maybe in the future add a DVD. I have two
MLT> hd and a cd-rom and a burner now. All the motherborads I've seen with 4
MLT> also have built in raid. Will the CMOS let me not use the hd's with
MLT> raid ? Sorry if this really is a dumb question but I have only built
MLT> two machines and they only had 2 IDE spots. TIA, Maureen

Hello New to the group :)

I have the MSI KT3 ULTRA-ARU and it has 4 IDE ports, 2 or technically
RAID. I had to load a modded BIOS to use the RAID ports as regular IDE
channels. THe option to switch between RAID and IDE is missing on the
mobo. (According to MSI there "Isn't room to put the option in" Other
manufacturers that use the same chipset, (and promise chipset for the
RAID ports) Have the option in the BIOS. I know this board is old in
computer years, but it's rock solid, and there is kernel support with
2.4.18 and above. If your going to go AMD check out amdforums.
(amdmb.com's forum) They even have a friendly linux forum.
Hope this mail is going to the right place.

PS If you want to go with this mobo I have the modded BIOS and the
windows drivers to make it work in windows.