Re: [SLUG] annoying cert farms, privacy, and MY FARGIN e-mail address

From: Pete S. (linux@myraandpete.net)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 14:46:44 EDT

Another alternative: purchase a domain name (www.godaddy.com is usually
$8.95/year). Then have someone host it. I have several hosts... cheapest
(w/poor technical support) that I have found is www.aprilhost.com
($29.95/year~100mb, ftp, pop3, CGI, webmail, 10 e-mail accounts). I have
seen some as little as $12/year (for 5 mb space and 1 pop account). I then
setup e-mails for specific subjects... wife's account, family, Linux,
security, spam, etc. Then use the e-mail account for whatever. I find that
this significantly reduces the amount of spam I get. Much less than the the
"regular" accounts get (hotmail, yahoo, msn, rr, etc.) All of the e-mail
accounts that I have setup, receive about 1 spam every 4 months (except the
"spam" accounts). Another bonus is that your e-mail account is now
independant of your ISP, host (though you may have to switch), etc.
Pete