Re: [SLUG] Postfix, Qmail, or....

From: Andrew M Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Jul 13 2003 - 12:20:35 EDT

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Mike wrote:

> Newbie here, wanting to setup a mail server on Trustix
> 2.0 distro. Would like everyone's opinion on best and
> most intuitive email server for small business. Thanks
> in advance.

For any given MTA software you'll find a camp of zealots who swear by it.
Since there are so many free choices, I'd say the best thing is to try a
few and see what works for you.

That said:

I think it's fair to say that for most people, Postfix is probably *much*
more intuitive to configure and tweak than Qmail. Postfix has no external
dependencies, whereas Qmail is designed to work with other DJB tools that
you may not want to use. The way that Postfix is laid out keeps close to
traditional UNIX conventions, Qmail breaks many of those same conventions.
That's partially an issue of aesthetics.

On the other hand, it's my experience that Qmail is a bit faster.

I started out using Sendmail a long time ago, when there were fewer
options available. When Qmail was released, I switched to that, and then
to Postfix. Been using Postfix ever since.

Don't dismiss Sendmail out of hand either. Also check out exim, it's
perhaps less popular but has its supporters.