Re: [SLUG] timpestamps in bash

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 23:39:02 EDT

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Eric Jahn wrote:

> Is there a way to get timestamp info on a single directory or file
> without parsing ls -l output? I'm trying to dynamically choose the
> backup folder depending on which is older... What would be really cool
> is an "is older than" comparison. I couldn't find anything in the bash
> literature except ls -l stuff. Thank you!

Well, there's the '-newer' flag to 'find'; so I guess you could do
something like:

. /usr/local/lib/untested-code

if [[ -n `find dir1 dir2 -maxdepth 0 -newer dir1` ]] then
    # dir1 is older
else if [[ -n `find dir1 dir2 -maxdepth 0 -newer dir2` ]] then
    # dir2 is older
else
    # same age
fi

... BICBW. Try on comp.unix.shell .

Are you confident that you appear to be professional in your electronic
communication?  Consider this: A: No
                               Q: Can I top post? from nick@xx.co.uk