Re: 'enterprise' distributions (was [SLUG] OO Writer Question)

From: Brad Smith (brad_stephenssmith@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 22:07:25 EDT

The RHEL whitepaper (http://www.redhat.com/whitepapers/rhel/ASESWS_Family_Overview.pdf) describes
the release cycle as 12-18 months. And in any case, they certainly don't say that this makes their
product obsolete. Quite the opposite. Not including the latest version of everything does not make
something obsolete in the enterprise market. I don't want to start a big argument here, but I do
think it's worth pointing out that distinction.

In the interest of full-disclosure I should point out that I work for Red Hat, which is why my
information is RH-specific, but I think it's similar with SuSE and I think/hope you'll find that
many linux-using organizations agree: As long as the system stays patched for security and bug
fixes, 'tried and true' is better than the latest, software-wise.

--Brad