Re: [SLUG] Building Fairly Cheap GNU/Linux box?

From: Russ Wright (rwrigh10@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 10:38:13 EDT

Here is what I have. I purchased all the hardware used from St. Pete
computers. Total cost about $200

Asus Socket 7 motherboard with an AMD k6/2-500 processor
256mb of ram
6gb Seagate ide hardrive
plextor IDE 16x/4x CD-R burner
generic Soundblaster 16 sound card
Riva tnt2 pci video card with 32 mb ram
realtek rtl8029 10/100 ethernet card
Samsumg multisync m700 monitor
generic atx minitower case

I run Redhat 8.0 linux flawlessly

I use the machine as a wordprocessor, internet surfer, cd player/burner and it
performs quite well. It is not exceptionally fast but adequate for most
daily use.