Re: [SLUG] music without guilt - legally

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 15:34:17 EDT

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 03:25 am, you wrote:
> Aaron, at the St. Pete SLUG meeting last night, threw out a pretty
> nice tip--at least, it was new to me.
>
> The idea of capturing streaming shoutcast MP3 files is very cool.
> First, you aren't going to get any letters from RIAA lawyers because
> of doing this. And secondly, you can enjoy your music with much less
> guilt, because unlike napster/kazaa/et al, the stations putting out
> the streaming broadcasts have legally obtained the rights to do so.
> Ok, not everybody cares about this, but if you do....

The fair use law allows recording and sharing as long as you don't charge
for it. You can record from both TV and radio, probably any *cast as well.

Napsters* where knocked down because of the volume of "fair use". Just as
they tried to stop taping of TV in the earily days. This time (w digital
media) they were more successful due to better lobbying. So public sharing
is in effect what is stopped.

You can still burn a copy of your CD and give to me (at no charge).

As far as going after people recording, they already do through a virus
which cripples your computer and is (by agreement w AntiVirus companies)
not detectable by your AV s/w. Kazaa, f.ex. is highly infected.

Pursuing people recording in any other way is not feasable. They cannot at
the current rate prosectute all the sharing violaters for two thusand
years. (See slashdot today/yesterday.)

--

Steve ________________________________________________ Sigless? Sign here for a free signature!