Re: [SLUG] DSL on different OSes

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 01:03:44 EDT

On Thursday 31 July 2003 04:33 pm, you wrote:
> I have a couple of points to add to this. I worked
> for RR Tech Support for over a year and a half and
> had to deal with multiple issues concerning this and
> in some cases its something on the RR side, other
> times it is not. Here are two things to note and it
> should help in diagnosing the issue.

> gets a little trickier. You will need to leave the
> modem powered down for approximately 4hrs and then
> power back up and should work correctly. The reason
> for the 4hrs is due to the router flushing one of
> its internal cache tables (this is what was told to
> me by a router tech). The routers update modem

Actually about 60 sec should be ok. Then the RAM in the modem is clear and
it will make a new request without looking like it has two IP's. Works for
my Toshiba modem. I've done this with a RR unix tech here in Tampa.

Re earlier statment that you can test your NIC by pinging 127.0.0.1.
That only verifies that indeed your stack is working, it does NOT verify
your NIC.

The sequence would be:

ifconfig to see what is assigned
ping the ip of eth0, if it is ok NIC is good
(If you have more than one NIC you need to ensure the right one is plugged
in.)

netstat -nr to see what gateway you have
ping the gateway by ip, if it's good it's not your cable or cable modem.

cat /etc/resolv/conf to see what dns you have
ping the dns by name (not IP) to verify that dns works
If you get this far your Internet connection is fine.

traceroute (www.target.server) if a site cannot be reached you can see where
it fails. If you don't even get an ip to trace to then you either have a
non exisitent domain or it's dns is down. If one domain can be found but
not others more than likely that server is too busy, or down, to service
you.

Most domains will be found without www. But only if they have been given the
www-less "alias" in dns. Some admins have not done it so you should always
test it with www if it fails without.

--

Steve ________________________________________________ Sigless? Sign here for a free signature! ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.