Re: [SLUG] 8139too.o module -- fixed -- sort of

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 20:52:21 EDT

Ok,

I just finished recompiling the entire system. I
configured the kernel with module support minus
versioning. The modules are all in the right place,
and they seem to work find... I haven't finished
setting up the network yet, so I'm not sure how well
it works yet. When I tried to insmod 8139too.o, I got
the same unresolved symbolic link bit, but this time
when modprobing 8139too, it found and loaded mii.o
module. I will assume this module solves the
unresolved symbolic links.

As for good verses not so good ethernet cards. I'm
sure people have their reasons for their opinions. My
own opinion is somewhat pragmatic.. whatever works. I
think the quality of the driver has much more to do
with the success of a piece of hardware than the
hardware itself. The reason for this is simple... ie.
It's much harder to get away with almost supporting a
standard in hardware. Most of the time, it either
works the way all the other hardware works... or it
doesn't... not counting extra bells and whistles.
With software.. there's all kinds of things that can
go wrong. There's so many things that just aren't
implemented correctly... programming is an art!

I have had the pleasure of using Donald Becker's Tulip
driver and others that are supported him... on the
whole I think they are some of the best out there.. if
not the best. The old addage about proprietary and
open source seems to follow very true here. Company
sponsered drivers just don't have the art in them that
open source drivers have.

So, to each his own. I'll post back later on, with an
update about how well this works.

Thanks for the help and discussion.

Rob