[SLUG] Database Design Ideas?

From: ethan@ethanzimmerman.com
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 18:00:39 EDT

I'm helping my dad with a database he's putting together for work and I'm trying
to figure out how to get around this problem:

 - he's got a person table and an apartment table (it's a retirment home)

 - To cut to the chase I'm trying to find an elegant way to pair up two married
people from the people table (i.e. Tom Jones and Nora Jones are a married couple
and each exist as a seperate record in the people table) So I can then refer to
the couple as a single entity

 - some ideas
   - I could give each person a marrige ID number and then pair up the numbers
   - I could use a Spouse ID field that links to the appropriate record in the
person table (but that makes the pairing subroutine a bit harder)

Any ideas about how I should do this?