Re: [SLUG] Filtering KMAIL email to Delete Without Using POP Filters

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 21:06:41 EDT

> There is a product out for Windoze (wish they'd do it for Linux if they
> haven't already) that has a "white list" type approach. When a user
> sends
> someone running the software a first email, the software replies back
> to the
> sender requesting an authentication key (the same way that majordomo
> does for
> the SLUG list). If a correct key is returned, the user is added to the
> whitelist; if not, the user will continue to be rejected until the
> correct
> authentication key is received.

I use Mozilla mail and have my email automatically "sort" into folders.
Slug list email goes into "lists," personal email (family etc.) goes
into "f," and so on. And email from strangers is sorted by Mozilla's
Bayesian filter into either "junk" or "inbox." Most of it - over 80% -
is junk.

Remember, I define junkiness by declaring any email I don't want to see
"junk" before I delete it, and the filter "learns" what I do and don't
want to see. I can also declare something spam-looking, like the BoatUS
"weekly specials" heavily HTML/graphic email flyers I get because I
signed up for them, that I *choose* to receive as "not junk" or have it
filter into my "lists" folder, because folder separation happens before
the junk filter runs.

A little bit of crud makes it through now and then, but not much. And I
rarely have any false positives. I don't think I've had one for a month
or more, come to think of it.

- Robin