RE: [SLUG] Good, Fast and Cheap?

From: Bill Glidden (bglidden@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 09:47:59 EDT

I don't think you can win this one. Your boss is probably right
in his assertion that if you took the time to do things right,
they would be out of business. This is typical thinking when
people don't understand the finance of software development. His
thought is "what is this going to cost me today?". The earlier in
the development cycle that defects are found, the cheaper they are
to fix. But you have to invest in that up-front work to get there.
Apparently, that's not how he's looking at it. I've worked
in this environment before and it's not pleasant to someone with
your background.

But I think you answered your own question when you said you need
need the income. There's a line from the movie Full Metal Jacket
that applies at times like this: "It's a great big sh*t sandwhich,
and we're all gonna have to take a bite". Sums up our current economy
and overall job situation, IMHO. I'd program in cobol to feed the family if
I had
to. Heck, I'd punch JCL on punch cards. I'd even maintain database
engine code for IBM if I had to in order to put food on the table.
(wait, I am doing that ... hmm...)